RESTDec 13, 2022
REST means stop all movement and sit. Well, this is my elementary definition yet an honest one.
Resting has never come easy for me, and I don’t know how to do it. I need God to teach me because I grew up in a family who placed high value on working and rarely rested. Being in constant motion and keeping busy was ingrained in me at a young age. Sitting still meant you were lazy and of no value. Working until complete fatigue was reached then justified stopping all activity.
I came to a place where exhaustion was too common, and it was having a negative affect on all aspects of my life. It was corrupting my mind and body in addition to all my behaviors and action with anyone who was around me. In desperation I turned to God for help to learn a new way to think about rest. He first pointed me to the dictionary to set a foundation, then to the Bible, and then to a fresh definition through an acronym he shared with me.
REST is defined by Webster as a:
- Freedom from activity or labor
- A state of motionlessness or inactivity
- A bodily state characterized by minimal functional and metabolic activities
- Peace of mind
- Free of anxieties
The next step was to explore the Bible to read about what it said about REST.
- For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: “On the seventh day God rested from all his works.” Hebrews 4:4 NIV
- Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.” Mark 6:31 NIV
- If you are tired from carrying heavy burdens, come to me and I will give you rest. Take the yoke I give you. Put it on your shoulders and learn from me. I am gentle and humble, and you will find rest. This yoke is easy to bear, and this burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30 CEV
- You will rest without a worry and sleep soundly. Proverbs 3:24 CEV
Now for a definition by Sue that was highly influenced by God whispering in a still small voice:
R elax - Don’t run, retreat from busyness
E asy does it - Enjoy everything, be effortless
S it - Sing, seek, and sleep
T ake time - Trust, tuck away truths
Letting ourselves find the sweet rest we need will allow us to find peace with God so he can refresh our body, mind, and soul. Rest will renew life within us through God gaining space in our mind and when this happens, we can regain our purpose in our day with focus and hope in God.
Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him. Psalm 62:5 NIV
Try it, take action, and practice finding REST.
Do you want to learn more habits to live a life with purpose? Reach out to Sue for a Connection Call to chat about your dreams and direction you want to go https://www.suelhamilton.com/site/contact
Stay connected with Sue by subscribing to emails to Join the Journey https://www.suelhamilton.com/subscribe-to-join-the-journey
Book Sue for your next speaking event, tell me a little more https://www.suelhamilton.com/site/contact
Enjoy a FREE resource or shop for a book at https://www.suelhamilton.com/store